Our Men’s Ministry Breakfast has been wading into the Christian classic Disciplines of A Godly Man by R. Kent Hughes. This last Lord’s Day, we considered the discipline of leadership, and leading young(er) men to pick up for the next generation.
Meditating on the hand off of leadership from Moses to Joshua, Hughes points out several important qualities for infecting others with leadership:
- Prayer: Joshua learned the power of prayer as victory came when Moses raised his staff to the Lord
- Vision: Joshua caught Moses’ vision when he stayed on Sinai below him for 40 days
- Devotion: When the Lord spoke with Moses at the Tabernacle, Joshua would not leave
- Magnanimity: When others received the Spirit, Joshua was jealous, but Moses taught him largesse
- Faith: When the spies returned from Canaan, only Joshua and Caleb showed trust
- The Spirit: Joshua was ordained for spiritual power by Moses
- Expendability: Joshua learned not even Moses could enter the Promised Land. We are all expendable!
All of these and more are unpacked by Hughes on pages 179 – 89.
But we were also spurred on by the zeal displayed by Ben Stuart in this short talk he gave at the recent Desiring God National Conference:
For the good of the Church, the joy of others, and the glory of God, go impact others for Christ!
Find more information about our Men’s Ministry here.