He who despises his neighbor sins, but blessed is he who is kind to the needy.
If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.
1 John 3:17-18
Zion’s goal is to “do good to everyone, especially those of the household of faith” (Galatians 6:10) by helping them see how God can meet their spiritual and physical needs. Working with several other faith-based and non-profit initiatives, we want to maximize God’s glory and our faith in Him. Our Deacons, Family Crisis Fund, and Church Help Fund supplement our abilities to bless others and give a cup of cold water in Jesus’ Name.
Our “Mercy Ministry Oath”
- Never do for those in need what they have (or could have) the capacity to do for themselves
- Limit one-way giving to emergency situations
- Strive to empower those in need through employment, lending, and investing, using grants sparingly to reinforce achievements
- Subordinate self-interests to the needs of those being served
- Listen closely to those you seek to help, especially to what is not being said — unspoken feelings may contain essential clues to effective service
- Above all, do no harm
Here are some of the services that Zion partners with to put our faith in action. An application is at the bottom for those in need to fill out.
North Iowa Community Action Organization
NICAO works with individuals to help them with Energy & Utility Assistance, Weatherization, FaDSS, Head Start, and partner with other Community Organizations to help those undergoing difficulty. Visit their website or go to the Hancock County Page.
Hancock County Outreach
475 State Street
Garner, IA 50438
(641) 923-9215 or (800) 873-1899
God’s Pantry is a ministry of Garner churches to help meet the physical needs of residents of Hancock County by providing a food bank. You can find out about times and values by contacting Garner United Methodist Church or contacting us.
Need more help? Apply to for further financial and spiritual help under our Diaconal care, and we will work to see God’s justice and mercy applied in your life. Please fill out the application to begin the process.
Download Application (Word .doc | PDF)