Here at Zion, we treasure the Word of God as more valuable than riches. When God speaks, we want to listen. So when the Apostle Paul reminds us that “all Scripture is God-breathed…” (II Timothy 3:16), we take him seriously. The Bible is our highest rule and authority for what we believe and how we live. From “In the beginning” to the last “amen” of Revelation, we want to make our lives conform to God’s Word since it points us to His Son, Jesus.
Unfortunately, many people twist the words of the Bible until they mean almost nothing. As historic, worldwide Reformed Christians, we want to “contend for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints” (Jude 3). Therefore, we join with Christians – throughout history and the world – in explaining our faith through the following creeds, confessions, and catechisms. These man made documents are not Scripture nor on par with God’s Word, but rather are secondary documents that help to explain what we mean when we say we believe in the Bible as our only rule of faith and life. These documents created by Christ’s Church help to explain the most basic and important doctrines taught in God’s Holy Word, and we eagerly and thankfully teach them as well.
The Holy Scriptures – English Standard Version
The Apostles’ Creed
The Nicene Creed
The Athanasian Creed
The Definition of Chalcedon
The Heidelberg Catechism
The Belgic Confession
The Canons of Dordt
A short statement of beliefs:
- We believe the Bible is the written word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and without error in the original manuscripts. The Bible is the revelation of God’s truth and is infallible, inerrant, and authoritative in all matters of faith and practice.
- We believe in the Holy Trinity. There is one God, who exists eternally in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. We believe that all are sinners and totally unable to save themselves from God’s displeasure, except by His mercy.
- We believe that salvation is by God alone as He sovereignly chooses those He will save.
- We believe His choice is based on His grace, not on any human individual merit, or foreseen faith. We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who through His perfect life and sacrificial death atoned for the sins of all who will trust in Him, alone, for salvation.
- We believe that God is gracious and faithful to His people not simply as individuals but as families in successive generations according to His Covenant promises.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells God’s people and gives them the strength and wisdom to trust Christ and follow Him.
- We believe that Jesus will return, bodily and visibly, to judge all mankind and to receive His people to Himself.
- We believe that all aspects of our lives are to be lived to the glory of God under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.